Sunday, March 14, 2010

Climbing



Hello everyone,
This last week I really wanted to climb outside for the first time this year. I decided to do a lot of schoolwork on saturday so that I could climb on Friday. The weather was supposed to be in the 50's on Friday and snowing on Saturday. We went and climbed in the canyon and it was a beautiful day. Stephen is hoping that we can take him and a date of his climbing with us sometime. I don't know if his date will feel comfortable being the only couple on a date. Well, I guess Jeff Carruth wanted to bring a date too, but it might still be weird since they can't really avoid the people who aren't on dates, we're the belayers. I just hope the weather is warm enough. The snow has come and gone in provo like four different times. Its juking so hard I'd break an ankle if it were basketball. Speaking of sports, Shawn Poor called me yesterday and wanted to make preliminary plans for a backpacking trip this summer. I'm sure there will be more to come on that. I went to his apartment later that night (at like 11, so very late) and stayed until morning. Its good to see him every once in a while. We tried to go to the wal-mart there in downtown SLC to look at the furniture they sell, since we are both into that. Shawn would have majored in industrial design if he had been accepted to BYU but is studying architecture at the U instead. He is designing a table for his studio desk that is fairly cool looking, some of the shelves are built like a suspension bridge with lots of wires holding them and stuff. He forgot to square up his power miter saw before he made some of the miter cuts for the joints so some of his joints (on the parts he has already done) are off. It doesn't seem to phase him, but I don't think I could live with that.

I have recently been making a lot of progress on my cedar chest and so I've been spending some time putting together the nightstand I built but didn't assemble last winter. The wood has been warped a little bit, and several aspects of the craftsmanship make me cringe. I don't think many other people would even notice if they looked at it, but having my memory refreshed in my classes about how to do good quality work, I can hardly stand it. If it wouldn't cost so much to start it over, I really might. Oh well, it can be in my kid's room or something or maybe I can show it to my classes as one of my first pieces of furniture. Really interesting huh? But that is what this blog is for, to tell you all about the latest happenings in my life.

Jacob and I were taking an online revolutionary war quiz last night and we got 2 out of 8 right. One of the ones I got right was, "Why was John Hancock the first to sign the declaration of independence?" Feel free to leave answers in the answer section. Make sure you know your answer before you click on the comments part and look at other people's answers.

I want the Canon G11, but have a hard time spending over $400 on any one thing.

Maybe I'll post one more picture from climbing, a picture from the top to the bottom, of Tyler Mix relaxing in the hammock. These pictures were all taken from my phone since I don't have the G11 as I established before. Should someone find an extra $400 in their heart for a camera for me, that'd be really nice. I don't think I could accept it, but if someone won a G11 for free or something, I would take that. Just remember that the next time someone asks you if you want a raffle ticket.

Okay, it looks like blogspot is going to put my second and last picture up at the very top, contrary to what I wanted. And since I can't figure out how to change it, I guess this post will open with a picture of someone many of you don't know.

3 comments:

  1. Tyler...I didn't know you were building all those various things...how cool. I wish I had taken shop in Highschool...but it was for the potheads. Even still I wish I had learned how to build furniture...or at least a house...so good for you. blogspot always puts the pictures at the top....you just have to click and drag them down for whatever reason. Have fun climbing...that too is something I should get into when I'm not a wimp...when will that be? Good luck on finding $400...I also oddly would like a nice camera...it's like we're the same person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your post. I would love some extra money too...but who can take it? And I don't know about John Hancock. What's the answer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Hancock was the first to sign because he was president of the Continental Congress.

    ReplyDelete