Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Raquetball

I'll start off with a quote from Calvin and Hobbes,

"if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life"

I played raquetball yesterday and this quote reminds me of it. Though I obviously wasn't playing on grass I did play hard enough to come away with green knees if it had been possible. I have scraped elbows and bruised hips. I haven't played since before my mission, a little over 5 years. As you all know, if my opponent wants me to give the game my best, I will. I was playing a friend, Lauren, who plays consistently. She told me that she would go easy on me because she didn't want me to be too tired afterward. She told me that she's had guys say before that they would be fine, and then they're sweat is dripping all over the floor. Well, she gave me the first serve, which was kind of her, and I proceeded to take a 3-1 lead. She then said to watch out because she plays on a different level when she's behind, and she wasn't going to take it easy anymore. A few minutes later I had a 6-1 lead. The game got a little bit more tough and the game was tied at 9, I believe. I told her at that point that I didn't know if I could win, I was slipping all over the sweat on the floor. Her response, "whatever. You're not even sweating." I got a good laugh out of that before I served it and scored a point. I went up 12-9 before she got on a run and won 15-12. It was a really fun game. I've only played racquetball maybe 4 or 5 times in my life, but I can't think of a time I haven't enjoyed it.
On another note, Condoleezza Rice is coming to speak tomorrow in the Marriott center and I'm very excited to hear it.

2 comments:

  1. We have a racquetball court here at the complex. You could visit, you know. We'd all enjoy a visit from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never played racquetball, but my dad loves..or loved it. I'd like to play some day...when I'm free...free as a bird. Sounds like you had a good game....neither of you was humiliated by the other...that's always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete